Bike to School Week is all about the joy of riding a bike!
May 30 – June 3, 2022
Bike to School Week inspires students to try riding a bike to school for the first time, to learn new skills, or to just have fun, explore, and connect with people, the community, and nature.
Please see our STSWR Bike Week Guide for information on local cycling activities/resources throughout the Region of Waterloo. Check out some more resources below that can help you participate in any way you choose!
Resources for Kids:
- Bike Boxes (Video)
- This video created by the City of Guelph shows us what bike boxes are and how those unusual green boxes at intersections work to protect cyclists. Note: young children should be supervised in advanced cycling settings like this.
- Cycling Safety (Video)
- Teaches cyclists the rules and expectations for riding on the road in Ontario. Created by the MTO.
- Discover Your Superpower (Local Community Campaign)
- Assistance with safe and custom route planning; volunteers even ride the routes before making recommendations. From CycleWR.
- Safe Equipment for Riding (Guide)
- An explanation on why helmets, bells, and lights are crucial for safe cycling. From BikeMonth 2022.
- Start Cycling (Webpage)
- Tips and inspirational stories for beginner cyclists from other students that bike to school. From Cycle Toronto.
- Take The Lead (Road Safety Game)
- This game educates young children from ages 7 to 12 on basic road safety techniques for assessing risks and choosing routes. The game player is given different road safety scenarios which can apply to both walking and cycling.
- Young Cyclist’s Guide
- Guide for young children on bicycle equipment, riding tips, and the rules of the road. Created by the MTO.
Resources for Parents:
- Bike Helmet Fitting (Step-By-Step Guide)
- Simple and straightforward guide for parents assisting kids with helmet fitting. Created by Sick Kids Hospital.
- Bike Helmet Fitting (Video)
- Teaches parents to properly fit a child’s bike helmet. From Cincinnati Children’s Hospital.
- Bike Rodeo (Do-It-Yourself Guide)
- Appropriate for kids in Grade 1 – 6 who have mastered the basics of starting, stopping, balance, and riding. This mini-version of the Ottawa Safety Councils Cyclesafe bike rodeo will allow your kids to practice in their own driveway!
- Carrying Kids on Your Bike (Guide)
- An overview of the variety of methods for carrying young children safely on your bike. From BikeMonth 2022.
- Getting a Child Their Own Bike (Guide)
- Helpful tips for parents on ensuring that their child’s bike is safely fitted. From BikeMonth 2022.
- Micromobility Devices Introduction (Video)
- Introductory overview on micromobility devices as a mode of transportation in Ontario. Created by the MTO.
- Micromobility Devices – Getting to Know Them (Video)
- Further information on micromobility devices and the rules and regulations for using small-wheeled devices in Ontario. Created by the MTO.
- Teaching Safe Cycling (Guide)
- A brief overview of safe cycling skills for parents to convey to their children. From BikeMonth 2022.