It sounds funny, but kids need coaching when it comes to walking and cycling to school.
- Active Transportation for Life – milestone goals
- A set of tips for parents teaching their children about walking and road safety.
- Sidewalk Smarts – Passport (Printable)
- The Sidewalk Smarts Passport provides an outline of the individual skills you can practice with your child as they develop pedestrian skills. When you have confidence that your child will perform these skills all the time, you can feel more confident allowing them to walk in familiar settings that include the applicable situations. School routes are a great place to practice!
There are three stages for each skill:
Your child can tell you what it means.
Your child can perform the skill.
Your child performs the skill all the time.
- Bike Helmet Fitting Step-by-Step Guide
- Sick Kids Hospital’s guide is simple and straightforward.
- Safe Walking Fundamentals
- Teaches concepts around how to walk on and off the sidewalk, driveway safety, choosing a safe route, and safe clothing choices.
- Crossing Fundamentals
- Teaches concepts of basic crossing techniques and to use the stop, look, listen, think process. Also, covers adult supervision when crossing streets, and crossing in the dark or bad weather.
- Advanced Crossing
- Teaches concepts around crossing at a controlled intersection or marked crosswalk, and reiterates the importance of the stop, look, listen, think process.
- Parking lot safety
- Teaches concepts around parking lot safety highlighting the importance of listening to adults, being aware of surroundings, and applying safe crossing techniques.
- Bike helmet fitting
- Teaches parents to properly fit a child’s bike helmet. From Cincinnati Chidren’s Hospital.
- Using bike boxes
- This City of Guelph video shows us how those unusual green boxes at intersections work to protect cyclists. Note: young children should be supervised in advanced cycling settings like this.
- Assess Risks and choose routes
- This game educates young children from ages 7 to 12 on basic road safety techniques. The game player is given different road safety scenarios of which they must make the correct decisions to win the game.