Each year we realize more and more how important it is to be safe in and around the school bus. These are precious children’s lives we are talking about. Thank you to all of you who keep our children safe! School Bus Safety Week runs from October 20-24, 2014. Help us pass on the message of safety.
Some tips to make the Safety the #1 priority are below. Follow our Twitter feed @STSWR this week for updates and use the #BusSafety14 for your own safety tips!
MTO has many tips on Bus Safety, check here for more details;
Here are some messages that are important:
Messages to the kids:
1. Never cross close to the front of the bus – make sure the driver can see you.
2. Never pick up anything you drop close to or under the bus – ask the driver what to do.
3. Never run after a bus or bang on the side.
4. If you must cross the street in front of the bus, follow the driver’s directions, and stop and look before you cross.
5. Never run across a street, it’s better to miss the bus than rush and risk being hit by a car.
6. Stay away from the rear and sides of the bus – always be in a safe place where the driver can see you.
Messages to the motoring public:
1. Never pass a school bus when its stop lights are flashing.
2. Be extra vigilant around school hours – assume a child might run out at any moment.
3. Be courteous to school buses, give them room and let them change lanes when they need to.
Message to the Bus Driver:
Safety = Freedom from risk. Risk can come from unsafe conditions, but it’s usually caused by unsafe behaviors. Almost every accident is caused by a driver’s unsafe behavior. Drivers should know and avoid the risky behaviors. The most important are:
1. Count the kids away, know where they are before you move the wheels.
2. Always rock and roll for left hand turns.
3. Stay back four seconds – maintain a safe following distance and leave yourself an out.
4. Look ahead and be prepared.
5. Look around, always know what is going on around you.
6. Always check for sleeping children.
7. Never drop off a child at an unauthorized stop.
8. If late, stay late.